Rutherford County became organized October 25, 1803. Jefferson was named the county seat in honor of President Thomas Jefferson. The community thrived due to its accessibility at the mouth of the Stones River. The early Courthouse at Jefferson was built at a cost of twenty-five hundred dollars and was completed in 1806. By 1811 the county seat had moved to a small village in the center of the county at Cannonsburgh.
Cannonsburgh Village began in 1974 as a 1976 American Revolution Bicentennial Project. A competition held by the federal government, placed the village as one of the top 16 Bicentennial Projects in the United States. Funds received for this honor were used to buy and move buildings from throughout the Mid-South. The Village depicts time from the Pioneer to Machine Era.
Cannonsburghs history goes back to the year 1811, when there was a village near the same spot named "Cannonsburgh". The name also came from Governor Newton Cannon for whom Cannon County was also named.
History: In an effort to relocate the county seat of Rutherford County to a more centralized location, Captain James Lytle and three other area landowners offered to donate land. Sixty acres of Lytle's choicest land was selected, the new site was to be named Cannonsburgh after Newton Cannon, one of the first Whig Governors of Tennessee.
Lytle requested that a Courthouse be built and the name of the village, be changed to Murfreesborough in honor of his friend Colonel Hardy Murfree whom he served with during the Revolutionary War. The spelling was eventually shortened to Murfreesboro.
It is said that the original village bore the name, Cannonsburgh for a period of about six weeks. Cannonsburgh, A Pioneer Village was built in 1976 as a Bicentennial Project. It was organized as a living museum village of early southern life and dedicated on June 26, 1976.
An elegant mansion caught in the crossfire of the Civil War This nationally registered, historic landmark reflects a time of prosperity in the Old South, as well as the hardships suffered during the Civil War.
Oaklands is the premier Italianate house in Rutherford county, and is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places both for its architectural significance and its rich historical associations. The only historic house museum in Murfreesboro, Oaklands has been featured in many publications and is the subject of several major studies and reports.
The Murfreesboro Greenway System consists of the Stones River and Lytle Creek trails. The Stones River and Lytle Creek Greenways are available for you to enjoy nature hikes, walking, running, bicycling, or in-line skating along the five miles of riverside trails. Small watercraft access points are also available for paddlers to enjoy the Stones River. The Murfreesboro Greenway System connects historical sites, parks, neighborhoods and businesses; it also serves as a conservation corridor to preserve precious natural and cultural resources.
Follow these links to learn more about the Murfreesboro Greenway System.
Experience the Beauty and Grace of the Home of a Confederate Hero at The Sam Davis Home.
Welcome to the Sam Davis Home!
Follow the cedar-lined lane back to the 1800's, where you will hear the story of Civil War Legend, Sam Davis, and visit his family's house.
Located in Smyrna, Tennessee, The Sam Davis Home was built along the banks of Stewarts Creek in 1820. This historical home and museum rest on 160 acres of farmland just outside of the Nashville area. The two-story home is characteristic of a Southern, upper middle-class family of those times.
Walter Hill Park is a 16-acre park at the Walter Hill Dam. Activities include fishing, hiking, horse trails, and canoe/kayak access.
Picnic tables are available on a first-come, first serve basis and dogs are allowed on leash.